Entry Requirements & Applications
Sixth Form Entry Requirements and Applications
- The requirements for entry into the Sixth Form at Maidstone Grammar School for Girls are six GCSEs at Grade C or above, with at least four of these at Grade B or above.
- All students must achieve Grade C or above in both English Language and Mathematics and also (where applicable) Grade B or above in all subjects to be studied at A Level.
- If you are intending to study a subject at Advanced Level that you have not studied at GCSE Level, you will be expected to demonstrate your ability in other relevant subjects.
- If you fail to meet these requirements and there are special circumstances that may have affected your performance – for example, you may have taken your GCSEs a year early as part of an accelerated curriculum – your application will be considered on an individual basis.
- If you have been offered a place in the Sixth Form, it is very important that you participate in our Induction Day on Thursday 6th July 2017. You will therefore be expected to attend this event.
Application Procedure for Internal Applicants
- Following your mock examinations and completion of subject reports, you will have an interview with your form tutor to discuss your progress and future plans.
- You will also have an interview with out full time careers adviser so that you can discuss your subject choices and confirm that they are appropriate for any career plans you may have.
- If possible you and your parents or carers should attend the Sixth Form Open Evening in November.
- A Focus Day at the beginning of December will be used for talks about future choices, new subjects and for advice about how to research courses in order for us to arrange subjects in Option Blocks so that as many first choices as possible are met.
- Online application forms will be completed in school during the December Focus Day
Application Procedure for External Applicants
- We welcome all new students both male and female into the Sixth Form. Our new students play an important role both within the Sixth Form and the school as a whole.
- In addition to individual enquiries, there is one particular opportunity for you to find out about Maidstone Grammar School for Girls and the subjects we offer; The Sixth Form Open Evening in November. You will have an opportunity to talk to teachers about the subjects you wish to study and to attend a presentation giving general information about the Sixth Form at Maidstone Grammar School for Girls. Throughout the evening current Sixth Form students will be available to guide you around the school and to talk with you about courses and life in the Sixth Form.
- Applications should be made online at www.kentchoices4u.com. There is no closing date for applications, but to ensure the best possibility of obtaining your subject choices we strongly recommend that you return your application form as early as possible and by Friday 3rd February 2017. A reference will be requested from your current school and you will then be offered a meeting at your first choice centre of learning with a senior member of staff. The purpose of the meeting is simply to allow us to get to know you and to talk to you about your aspirations; it is not a factor in deciding whether or not to offer you a place, which is done purely on academic criteria. At Maidstone Grammar School for Girls there will be two meeting days for external students; one in January and one in February 2016. We will inform you in early March whether we are able to offer you a place in our sixth form. Should you be unsuccessful, you will be placed on a waiting list. If you do better than predicted in your GCSE examinations, you are welcome to contact the school again once results have been published and we will see if it is possible for us to offer you a place (though please note that in such instances your first choice subject options may not necessarily be available). Entrance criteria for external students are exactly the same as those for internal students.