Sixth Form Entry Requirements and Applications
Applications and Admissions
We welcome applications to our Sixth Form from both male and female students, whether currently attending our own or any other school. Each year we welcome many new entrants from other schools, including approximately 30 boys. Our Sixth Form Management Team and student Ambassadors provide support for transition, and all students very quickly become valued members of our Sixth Form community.
The entry requirements for the Sixth Form, and the application process for internal and external students is outlined below. All offers are conditional on GCSE results, and therefore, will not be made firm until results and enrolment day.
- Students must be 16 years of age by 31st August of year of entry into Year 12.
- The minimum entry requirements for the Sixth Form at MGGS are at least six full course GCSEs at Grade C (or Grade 5) or above, including English Language and Mathematics. At least four of these subjects must be at Grade B (or Grade 6).
- In addition, students must meet subject entry requirements, which in most cases require a minimum of Grade B (or Grade 6) in the subject to be studied, or related subjects. Please note that the range of subjects available is limited for students without a Grade 6 in English Language or English Literature.
- All applicants will be invited to a Guidance Meeting with a senior member of staff early in 2018.
- If you have been offered a place in the Sixth Form, it is very important that you participate in our Induction Day on Wednesday, 11th July 2018 and you will therefore be expected to attend this event, at which you will be given your enrolment pack.
- Enrolment to the Sixth Form will take place on GCSE results day on Thursday, 23rd August 2018. Internal applicants will be invited to enrol in the morning and external applicants will be invited to enrol in the afternoon.
- If you fail to meet the entry requirements, you will first be advised to consider whether it is appropriate to seek a remark of your GCSE. If you do not meet the minimum entry requirements you will be offered the opportunity to appeal for a place at the School. If you do not meet the subject entry criteria, you may be offered an alternative programme of study with us for which you are eligible.
Application Procedure for Internal Applicants
- You and your parents or carers are invited to attend the Sixth Form Open Evening on Thursday, 9th November 2017 from 5.30pm – 8.30pm. You will have an opportunity to meet with the Sixth Form Management Team, to talk to teachers about the subjects you wish to study and to attend a presentation giving general information about the Sixth Form. Throughout the evening current Sixth Form students will be available to talk with you about courses and life in the Sixth Form.
- Focus Day 2 at the beginning of December will be used for talks about new subjects and future choices, and for advice about how to research these. Online application forms will be completed in school during the December Focus Day. This initial information enables us to arrange subject option blocks so that as many first choices as possible are met.
- All Year 11 students will have an interview with Miss Rhodes, our Careers and Higher Education Officer, before the end of December.
- Following your mock examinations and completion of subject reports, you and your parents will be invited to a Guidance Meeting with a senior member of staff in January to discuss your progress and future plans.
Application Procedure for External Applicants
- In addition to individual enquiries, you and your parents or carers are invited to attend our Sixth Form Open Evening on Thursday, 9th November 2017 from 5.30pm – 8.30pm. You will have an opportunity to meet with the Sixth Form Management Team, to talk to teachers about the subjects you wish to study and to attend a presentation giving general information about the Sixth Form. Throughout the evening current Sixth Form students will be available to talk with you about courses and life in the Sixth Form.
- You are also invited to attend our Sixth Form Open Morning on Wednesday, 6th December 2017, 9-11am, during which you will be able to observe a working day at MGGS.
- Applications should be made online at www.ucasprogress.com. There is no final closing date for applications, but to ensure the best possibility of obtaining your subject choices we strongly recommend that you return your application form as early as possible and by Friday, 2nd February 2018. All applicants will then be offered a Guidance Meeting with a senior member of staff in February 2018. Please note that the meeting is designed to find out more about your aspirations and academic interests; it is not a factor in deciding whether to make a conditional offer.