Curriculum Vision & Aims
At Maidstone Grammar School for Girls, our curriculum vision is to enable students to achieve academic excellence with wider social awareness and responsibilities in a caring, forward thinking and supportive environment.
Our curriculum is underpinned by a broad set of common values and purposes. These are:
- encouraging in students a deeper knowledge and understanding of key ideas and concepts through a thinking based approach to learning
- giving sufficient time to each Key Stage so that opportunities are made available for significant enrichment and extension to ensure that all students are intellectually challenged and develop as independent learners and thinkers
- providing flexibility in curriculum design and subject choice so that students are, wherever practicable, able to personalise their learning with regard to their ability and interests whilst retaining breadth in their studies
- ensuring that learning and teaching is of the highest quality and utilises technology to enhance this where possible
- developing Thinking Skills and a positive Mindset in all students to ensure they are able to meet the increasingly challenging nature of academic and career demands.
Enquiry, enrichment and extension form the basis of our ‘Curriculum and 6th Form Extra’ programmes, both in timetabled lessons and extra-curricular activities.
At Maidstone Grammar School for Girls, our curriculum is planned with reference to the outcomes we seek to deliver for our learners. In common with national aims, we want all of the students at MGGS to be:
- Successful learners who enjoy learning, make excellent progress and achieve their full potential
- Confident and forward thinking individuals who are able to lead safe, healthy and fulfilling lives and who are capable of leading others in the modern world
- Responsible citizens who make a positive contribution to society and use their talents and abilities for the benefit of others as well as themselves.
We also want our students to be resilient, independent learners and thinkers who can, through their own efforts and persistence, adapt their knowledge, understanding and skills to pose key questions, research wisely, articulate solutions and provide novel answers to problems. In addition, we want to encourage all our students to develop the capacity for lifelong learning, to have a love of learning and to make sure that the learning needs of all students, including the most able and those who are disadvantaged, are fully met.
Our curriculum aims are achieved through our commitment to our MEGA programme of Mindset, Enrichment, Google (G Suite for education) and Advanced Thinking.
Please see our Curriculum Policy for further information.