Sixth Form Entry Requirements and Applications
Applications and Admissions
We welcome applications to our Sixth Form from both male and female students, whether currently attending our own or any other school. Each year we welcome many new entrants from other schools, including approximately 30 boys. Our Sixth Form Management Team and student Ambassadors provide support for transition, and all students very quickly become valued members of our Sixth Form community.
The entry requirements for the Sixth Form, and the application process for internal and external students is outlined below. All offers are conditional on GCSE results, and therefore, will not be made firm until results and enrolment day.
- Students must be 16 years of age by 31st August of year of entry into Year 12.
- The minimum entry requirements for the Sixth Form at MGGS are at least six full course GCSEs at Grade 5 (or Grade C) or above, including English Language and Mathematics.
- In addition, students must meet subject entry requirements, which in most cases require a minimum of Grade 6 (or Grade B) in the subject to be studied, or related subjects. Please note that the range of subjects available is limited for students without a Grade 6 in GCSE English Language or English Literature.
- If you have been offered a place in the Sixth Form, it is very important that you participate in our Induction Day on Wednesday, 10th July 2019 and you will therefore be expected to attend this event, at which you will be given your enrolment pack.
- Enrolment to the Sixth Form will take place on GCSE results day on Thursday, 22nd August 2019. Internal applicants will be invited to enrol in the morning and external applicants will be invited to enrol in the afternoon.
- If you fail to meet the entry requirements, you will first be advised to consider whether it is appropriate to seek a remark of your GCSE. If you do not meet the minimum entry requirements you will be offered the opportunity to appeal for a place at the School. If you do not meet the subject entry criteria, you may be offered an alternative programme of study with us for which you are eligible.
Further information can be found in our sixth form curriculum information booklet for 2019 entry.
Applications to join the sixth form should be made direct to the school by completing our online sixth form application form.
Application Procedure for Internal Applicants
- Focus Day 2 at the beginning of December will be used to explore your future choices, and for advice about how to research these. This initial information enables us to arrange subject option blocks so that as many first choices as possible are met. Further information about transition to the sixth form for internal students will be given at this day.
- All Year 11 students will have an interview with Miss Hodges, our Careers and Higher Education Officer, before the end of December.
Application Procedure for External Applicants
- In addition to individual enquiries, you and your parents or carers are invited to attend our Sixth Form Open Evening on Thursday, 8th November 2018 from 5.30pm – 8.30pm. You will have an opportunity to meet with the Sixth Form Management Team, to talk to teachers about the subjects you wish to study and to attend a presentation giving general information about the Sixth Form. Throughout the evening current Sixth Form students will be available to talk with you about courses and life in the Sixth Form
- External applicants who would like to visit the school during the working day with parents/carers are welcome to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a tour during the week commending 3rd December 2018
- Applications are to be made by completing our online sixth form application form.
- There is no final closing date for applications, but to ensure the best possibility of obtaining your subject choices we strongly recommend that you return your application form as early as possible and by Friday, 1st February 2019.
Important Dates for Applicants
Sixth Form Open Evening – Thursday, 8th November 2018
Focus Day 2 for internal applicants – Tuesday, 4th December 2018
Induction Day – Wednesday, 10th July 2019
GCSE Results and Sixth Form Enrollment Day – Thursday, 22nd August 2019
Sixth Form Appeals Information
If you are not offered a place into the Sixth Form at MGGS, parents/carers and students have a statutory right to an independent appeal and they can make an appeal by completing the Sixth Form Appeal Form 2019.
To be considered for our appeals, this form and evidence should be received on or as soon as possible after GCSE results days. Submitting your appeal by Friday, 23rd August 2019 will give you the best chance of having your appeal heard on 9th September 2019.
Returned forms, along with evidence should be sent directly to Ms M Starns, Admissions Manager at Maidstone Grammar School for Girls, via email@example.com.
Further information about admissions can be found in our Admissions Policy.