Sixth Form Entry Requirements and Applications
Applications and Admissions
We welcome applications to our Sixth Form from both male and female students, whether currently attending our own or any other school. Each year we welcome many new entrants from other schools, including boys. Our Sixth Form Management Team and Student Leaders provide support for transition, and all students very quickly become valued members of our Sixth Form community.
The entry requirements for the Sixth Form, and the application process for internal and external students is outlined below. All offers are conditional on GCSE results, and therefore, will not be made firm until results and enrolment day.
- Students must be 16 years of age by 31st August of year of entry into Year 12.
- The minimum entry requirements for the Sixth Form at MGGS are at least six full course GCSEs at Grade 5 (or Grade C) or above, including English Language or English Literature and Mathematics.
- In addition, students must meet subject entry requirements, which in most cases require a minimum of Grade 6 (or Grade B) in the subject to be studied, or related subjects. Please note that the range of subjects available is limited for students without a Grade 6 in GCSE English Language or English Literature.
- If you have been offered a place in the Sixth Form, it is very important that you participate in our Induction Day on Wednesday, 8th July 2020 and you will therefore be expected to attend this event.
- Enrolment to the Sixth Form will take place on GCSE results day on Thursday, 20th August 2020. Internal applicants will be invited to enrol in the morning and external applicants will be invited to enrol in the afternoon between 12pm and 2pm.
- If you fail to meet the entry requirements, you will first be advised to consider whether it is appropriate to seek a remark of your GCSE. If you do not meet the minimum entry requirements you will be offered the opportunity to appeal for a place at the School. Details of this are available on the school website. If you do not meet the subject entry criteria, you may be offered an alternative programme of study with us for which you are eligible.
Further information can be found in our sixth form curriculum information booklet.
Applications to join the sixth form should be made direct to the school by completing our online sixth form application form.
Application Procedure for Internal Applicants
- Internal students have the opportunity during the Autumn terms to attend taster lessons in school to inform your option choices.
- Focus Day 2 at the beginning of December will include a session in which students identify their choice of subjects. This initial information enables us to arrange subject option blocks so that as many first choices as possible are met. Therefore, although you will have the opportunity to amend your choices at enrolment, it is important to consider these initial decisions carefully. Further information about transition to the Sixth Form for internal students will be given on this day.
- All Year 11 students will have a one-to-one meeting with Miss Hodges, our Careers and Higher Education Coordinator.
Application Procedure for External Applicants
- External applicants who would like to visit the school during a working day with parents/carers are welcome to contact email@example.com to arrange a tour during the week commencing 2nd December 2019.
- Applications are to be made by completing this Google form
- There is no final closing date for applications, but to ensure the best possibility of obtaining your subject choices we strongly recommend that you return your application form as early as possible and by Friday, 7th February 2020.
Important Dates for Applicants
Sixth Form Open Evening – Thursday, 7th November 2019
Focus Day 2 for internal applicants – Tuesday, 10th December 2019
Induction Day – Wednesday, 8th July 2020
GCSE Results and Sixth Form Enrollment Day – Thursday, 20th August 2020
Sixth Form Appeals Information
Further information on Sixth Form appeals will be available shortly.